Learn More About our Amputee Running Leg Program
Apply for your amputee running leg today.
Welcome to Amputee Blade Runners
We are a non-profit group who specialize in in redefining what’s possible for amputee athletes in sports and in life.
Since our inception in 2011, we’ve empowered hundreds of athletes of all ages across the United States by providing lower-limb sports prosthetics completely free of charge.
However, our three-step approach goes beyond a custom, highly specialized prosthetic — we also build community through peer mentorship, and we guide athletes to surpass their biggest hurdles through educational support.
ABR Three-Step Approach
We invest in recipients’ lives, not just their equipment, helping athletes surpass live’s biggest hurdles.
We create and nurture human connection between individuals, families, & professionals within the limb loss community.
We act as a valuable and comprehensive resource committed to openly sharing knowledge.
Empowering Athletes of All Ages
To an amputee athlete, a sports-specific prosthetic is essential equipment. That’s why we design, custom fit, and fabricate highly specialized prosthetics based on each individual’s goals — and we do this all at no cost to the athlete or their family.
We know that physical activity transforms health and quality of life long term, which is why we strive to remove barriers to physical activity for every athlete.
We’re always excited to hear from amputee athletes interested in pursuing running and/or other sports, and we hope to hear from you. Click the appropriate link below to apply for your running leg today!
What to Expect When Applying for an Amputee Running Leg with ABR
Complete all parts of the application, along with all requirement and email to: email@example.com.
- At this time, ABR only accepts applications for individuals in the United States.
- We ask that applicants be at least one year post fitting from their 1st prosthesis before they apply.
- For Adults, each applicant must complete (we didn’t say run!) three 5K’s and send in the results as well as a photo from each race.
- For children, we ask that each applicant complete at least one 1-mile fun run.
The ABR team will review applications and the associated items submitted to ensure we have all necessary materials.
If all items are sent in properly, the applicant will go through at least two virtual interviews within one month.
The ABR Board will then vote on applicants once they have completed the interviews and provided any additional requirements.
If approved, the applicant will have a virtual meeting with one of our prosthetists to gather more medical information.
- If a new socket is being discussed, this will include getting residual limb measurements, plus other info.
- This may include residual limb preparation, or general fitness/exercise requests from our team.
Each approved applicant is required to travel to either Nashville, TN or Savannah, GA in order to complete the fitting process. Time duration of your time in Nashville, or Savannah is generally 6-7 days.
- Please note: ABR does not provide travel assistance at this time.
- ABR will choose the location of services based on the applicant’s needs.